Thursday, September 1, 2011
"Last year, the same researchers discovered that people with a missing copy of these genes were 43 times more likely to be morbidly obese."
This is nothing new, FA'ers have been saying this for ages, but basically when they explain this concept, a lot of the time all they get is an equivalent of a childish "la, la, la, I can't hear you!" from friends, family, co-workers and society in general.
"If we can work out why gene duplication in this region causes thinness it might throw up new potential treatments for obesity and appetite disorders"
Um what? You just said that weight has to do with genetics. How can you treat something that has to do with heredity? Being fat is not a disease! Oh yes I forgot, it's OK to be thin because of your genes. But if you are fat, oh noooo, you don't get a free pass. You still have to diet until you starve yourself and exercise until you pass out, YOU BIG FAT LAZY DISGUSTING PIG!
"This shows that failure to thrive in childhood can be genetically driven,’ says Professor Froguel. ‘If a child is not eating, it’s not necessarily the parents fault."
Doesn't that also mean it's not the parents fault if their child is fat?
But parents do get blamed if their child is fat, they are accused of feeding them improperly, of giving them too much junk food and not encouraging them to exercise enough. Some children even get taken away because it is seen as abuse.
This research just adds to the notion that it is OK to be thin for any reason, whether is genes or disease. If a person is thin because of anorexia or AIDS wasting syndrome they get sympathy (I am no way discounting these very serious diseases). But if a person is fat because of a disease or condition like hypothyroidism or PCOS, it's still that person's fault and should do everything they can to lose the weight. I am so tired of the double standard that thinness automatically means you are healthy and being fat means you are instantly unhealthy. Weight is not an indicator of health.
Monday, April 20, 2009
"Maybe I'll consider a makeover later on," she told the London Times on Saturday. "For now I'm happy the way I am short and plump. I would not go in for Botox or anything like that. I'm content with the way I look. What's wrong with looking like Susan Boyle? What's the matter with that?"
There is nothing wrong with that! It is a message for all of us, stop dieting and trying to lose weight and getting plastic surgery, just love you they way you are and you will be happy. You are inspiration for all of us Susan, and never change who you are!
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Have I been living under a rock for the last 27 years? Seriously, WTF is evaporated soda? Some new product not on the market yet? And how would it be made? A vat of liquid soda is left in some temperature and humidity controlled room and let to dehydrate? I can imagine the advertising for this:
Announcer: Tired of your soda going flat a few days after you open it and watching your hard earned money literally going down the drain? Well worry no more with evaporated soda! All you have to do is add seltzer and you will have soda instantly!
Friday, January 30, 2009
Bold the things you have done:
1. Started my own blog
2. Slept under the stars
3. Played in a band
4. Visited Hawaii
5. Watched a meteor shower
6. Given more than I can afford to charity
7. Been to Disneyland/world
8. Climbed a mountain
9. Held a praying mantis
10. Sung a solo
11. Bungee jumped (hell no)
12. Visited Paris
13. Watched lightning at sea
14. Taught myself an art from scratch- knitting and crochet
15. Adopted a child .
16. Had food poisoning
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
18. Grown my own vegetables- just a small container garden
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France
20. Slept on an overnight train
21. Had a pillow fight
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill
24. Built a snow fort
25. Held a lamb
26. Gone skinny dipping
27. Skied a marathon
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice
29. Seen a total eclipse
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset
31. Hit a home run
32. Been on a cruise
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
34. Visited the birthplace of my ancestors
35. Seen an Amish community
36. Taught myself a new language - does pig Latin count?
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person
39. Gone rock climbing
40. Seen Michelangelo’s David
41. Sung karaoke
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
44. Visited Africa
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight
46. Been transported in an ambulance
47. Had my portrait painted
48. Gone deep sea fishing
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling
52. Kissed in the rain
53. Played in the mud
54. Gone to a drive-in theater
55. Been in a movie
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Visited Russia
60. Served at a soup kitchen
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies - no, but I’ve bought many a box . . .
62. Gone whale watching
63. Got flowers for no reason
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma
65. Gone sky diving
66. Visited a Nazi concentration camp
67. Bounced a check
68. Flown in a helicopter
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
71. Eaten caviar
72. Pieced a quilt- but never finished it
73. Stood in Times Square
74. Toured the Everglades
75. Been fired from a job
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
77. Broken a bone
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person- in an airplane
80. Published a book
81. Visited the Vatican
82. Bought a brand new car
83. Walked in Jerusalem
84. Had my picture in the newspaper
85. Read the entire Bible
86. Visited the White House
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
88. Had chickenpox
89. Saved someone’s life
90. Sat on a jury
91. Met someone famous
92. Joined a book club
93. Lost a loved one
94. Had a baby
95. Seen the Alamo in person
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
97. Been involved in a law suit
98. Owned a cell phone
99. Been stung by a bee
100. Ridden an elephant
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Oh yeah cuz the ONLY reason why people has teh FATZ is because they are lazy! And it implies that fat people are absolutely delusional (don't read the article unless you have some major Sanity Points) *epic eye roll*
Saturday, October 18, 2008
Friday, September 12, 2008
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating. (If you don't have a strikethrough option like me, just leave it the way it is)
4) Added by me: Italicize what you would like to try
1. Venison. I had this at a friends house, didn't know what it was until they told me and it was very good
2. Nettle tea3. Huevos rancheros.
4. Steak tartare.
6. Black pudding.
7. Cheese fondue.
10. Baba ghanoush. I love this stuff
11. Calamari. This is a requirment of being Italian
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi. I love curry
15. Hot dog from a street cart.
16. Epoisses. sounds very yummy
17. Black truffle.
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes. And I have also had something called mead which made from honey- very familiar to the Rennies out there ;)
19. Steamed pork buns.
20. Pistachio ice cream.
21. Heirloom tomatoes.
22. Fresh wild berries. Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and currants
23. Foie gras.
24. Rice and beans.
25. Brawn, or head cheese.
26.Raw Scotch Bonnet Pepper
27. Dulce de leche. .
28. Oysters. cooked and raw
29. Baklava. Soooo good and I also have a great recipe for it if anyone is interested
30. Bagna cauda.
31. Wasabi peas.
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl. I've clam chowder without the sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi I've had sweet lassi
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar.
37. Clotted cream tea.
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O- do jello shots count, LOL
41. Curried goat
42.Whole insects. yuck!
44. Goat’s milk. Would like to try. I do drink raw milk though
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more.
46. Fugu- wouldnt take that chance
47. Chicken tikka masala
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut.
50. Sea urchin.
51. Prickly pear.
52. Umeboshi. doesnt look appetizing
53. Abalone. see above
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal.
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV.
60. Carob chips- dont like it, chocolate is waaay better
63. Kaolin- why on earth-pun intended- would you eat clay? Unless you have pica
64. Currywurst. sounds interesting
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis. nor would I ever eat scrapple, which is basically the same without the oatmeal and sheep's stomach
69. Fried plantain.
70. Chitterlings, and or andouetille
72. Caviar and blini- I've only had caviar
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail. it was ok, dont think I would have it again though
79. Lapsang souchong.
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky- I heart pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
90. Criollo chocolate.
91. Spam. I never actually tried this, it reminds me too much like scrapple- all the ground up parts, I need to work up my courage
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
95. Mole poblano- chicken mole yum!
96. Bagel and lox.
97. Lobster Thermidor
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee